Saturday, November 22, 2014

Refinement

God's constant theme in my life lately has been that of refinement and renewal. With all the moving and goodbyes and road trips and transitions, we really haven't had a "home" since late July. Due to this and the lack of plans present for the next month of our lives, God has been eagerly drawing me back to Him, my true Life Source. When home is gone and you rely on God's provision day by day, there is no choice in being refined. It simply has to happen. My security can no longer be complete in a home, a plan, friends, family, or Chase. It's no secret that uncertainty and changes shift our focus. We are forced to rely on someone Greater. My friend Marcy told me once, "Gold is mined out by force." I have found it to be true! Not many things in a Kenya go as planned. It's just not how it goes. Flexibility is the name of the game. Life here can be packed, yet there is also a slow pace to it. There's a large amount of time available to talk to God here and to realize that he is indeed the Sustainer and Life Giver. Twice now, in different churches in different locations, John 15 has been the topic that was preached. I considered that not to be a coincidence. 



With all the changes and new challenges here, I have had to get back to the basics. Will I trust in myself or the Creator? Will I find ways or fills voids to fill myself up it will I allow him to fill me? What aspects of my personality or identity will I allow him to reshape so that I can love others more fully? God makes it clear that we are mere branches of the true Vine. We can't survive well without his influence and very being flowing through us, but we have to be awake. God will not force his way on us, but rather we must be open to his pruning and reshaping. "Remain in me and I will remain in you," (15:4) he says. "As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love. I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy  may be complete." (15: 9-11) "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. This is my command: Love each other. (15:16) Jesus says that he wishes for us to be connected. When we are, we will truly bear fruit. My friends, we have to remain awake! For me, it is so easy to coast through this life without being changed or allowing ourselves to be changed by him. Being refined requires both diligence and discipline I have found. It requires that we are attentive to what is going on around us and to who is around us. 

To each of you reading, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be refined by your prayers and your generous sending of us to this country and to the people we love. I LOVE you all. And, when I forget, please remind me, too, to stay awake so that the Image Bearer himself will continue to prune and refine who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment